Sunday, February 27, 2005

Google and Kubla Khan

There is a lot of cry specially in France about googlization of information. The other day Financial Express read: Is Google imposing selective American ideas? Leaving that discussion to les français, I’ve another question...apparently google is students’ best friend, but is it not harming their growth in the long run?

When I've an assignment to do, my starting point is typically the same: www.google.com and the end result (the report) is a potpourri of matter from different sites which sometimes makes sense and sometimes does not.

But today something happened to me...something that happened to Samuel Taylor Coleridge way back in 1798 when he conceived Kubla Khan from Xanadu in his dream (where do you think I got this date from...of course google:) I had a dream...a dream full of ideas...I woke up and tried to scribble them on paper...now I expect something somewhat original somewhere...

The point I’m trying to make is if we give it a thought and don’t mindlessly start googling (as I do), we sure can come up with original ideas..and then may be some day..

We would build that dome in air,

That sunny dome! those caves of ice!

Weave a circle round the world thrice,

And drink the milk of Paradise.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Ambrish Bajaj said...

The human brain is really capable of churning out new ideas out of the all experiences he had had in his lifetime and all the books that he would have read. The point is, as you said, not to consider your idea stupid. What I would say about Google is that it is something which has made information available to people quickly and cheaply. Now everybody has the some information availability, what you make out of reading an article found on Google is all on you.

Remember the world has become atleast semi-strong efficient (and hence weak-form efficient as well) in terms of information availability, if not strong form efficient (Google still can't spy two people talking behind closed doors :)). Converting that information into action is all on individuals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home